Thursday, February 10, 2011

Taking a page from the Cognitive Design school

I saw this post today, and I thought it really tied into Loose Change: Rewards Change Kids' Eating Habits

This post discusses a study of parents offering rewards like stickers to kids after eating a vegetable.  After a few weeks, the kids who were generally rewarded were offered the veggie with no reward, and they actually chose to eat the veggie.  So, in essence, providing a reward actually produced the desired change.

If we use rewards to help us or others develop a change, will we be more successful?  My first thought is, "I'm an adult!  I know when I stick to a change and when I don't - and that's good enough for me!"... But is it?  Maybe it's time we start rewarding ourselves (or organizations).

Another interesting point in this article is that the kids received stickers - unrelated to the food.  Does it make sense for us to keep our rewards separate?  For example, if you are trying to change your gym habits and you make it 7 days in a row, maybe you should reward yourself with a massage rather than a day off from the gym.  If you eat your veggies for 7 days in a row, you shouldn't reward yourself with Oreos - choose a movie instead.

I'm going to do some more research on rewards.  I'm really nerding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment